DUNELAND SCHOOL CORPORATION
EMERGENCY PROCEDURES FOR DELAYING/CLOSING OF SCHOOLS (Revised 11/13)
Please do not call the Support Services Center or Schools for information. Listen to the following radio stations: Valparais WAKE 1500 AM and Indiana 105.5 FM; Michigan City: WEFM 95.9 FM; Chesterton H.S. WDSO 88.3 FM; WGN Radio 720; WBBM Newsradio 78; Chicagoland area TV station channels 2, 5, 7, 9, 32, CLTV news.
- The Duneland School Corporation recognizes the problems students, parents and employees encounter when a question exists regarding whether or not schools will be delayed and/or cancelled. The following guidelines will be used when determining a change in the starting time for school and cancellations:
- The school administration will make a decision to delay or cancel school by 6:00 a.m. and announce the decision over designated radio stations, online at www.duneland.k12.in.us and through the Skylert calling system.
- When a school delay is announced and inclement weather does not permit school to be in session for the remainder of the day, the school cancellation will be announced prior to 9:00 a.m. Efforts will be made to have students in school for a minimum of 3 1/2 hours for elementary/intermediate students and 4 hours for high school/middle school students which would negate the necessity for a make-up of time lost. On days when school is delayed, the following time schedule will be in effect:
High School 9:40 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
Middle School 9:50 a.m.- 2:55 p.m.
Intermediate 10:15 a.m. - 3:05 p.m.
Elementary 10:00 a.m. - 2:25 p.m.
- On school days with delayed start, school lunches will follow the regular school menu and there will be no morning YCare available.
- When limited bus routing is ordered by the administration, transportation will be available at specified pickup points. Students transported to school by parents on limited routing days are to be transported home in the afternoon by parents.
Or visit online: