Take action on the Dietary Guidelines by making changes in these three areas.
Choose steps that work for you and start today.
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to Increase
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grans.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
Foods to Reduce
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals - and choose the foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
Parent ResourcesUSDA Team Nutrition
National Institutes of Health
Action For Healthy Kids
American Diabetes Association
American Dietetic Association
http://eatright.orgAmerican Heart AssociationCeliac Sprue Association
CDC Healthy Youth
Choosing a Safe and Successful Weight Loss Program
USDA Search for Nutrient Content of Foods
How to Understand and Use the Nutrition Facts Label
Interactive Menu Planner
Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network
Girl Power! Get Body Wise!
Kids Walk to School
NASBE Healthy Schools
VERB: It’s What You Do
Purdue University Consumer and Family Sciences
http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/Extension/pdf/nutritionlinks.pdfIN Safe Routes to School Program